Falafel sandwiches with yogurt sauce
Preparation time: 1 hr
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup uncooked bulgur
1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup sliced green onions (4 medium)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 pita (pocket) breads (6 inch), cut in half to form pockets
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 slices tomato
16 slices cucumber
1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1. In 1-quart saucepan, heat 3/4 cup water to boiling. Stir in bulgur; remove from heat. Cover; let stand about 30 minutes or until tender. Drain; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in food processor, place beans, cilantro, onions, flour, 3 tablespoons water, 2 teaspoons cumin, the baking powder, salt and garlic. Cover; process with on-and-off pulses 10 times or until well blended and coarsely chopped (mixture will be wet). Spoon mixture into large bowl.
3. Stir bulgur into bean mixture. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, about 1/4 cup each; shape each portion into oval patty, 1/4 inch thick.
4. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add 4 patties; cook 8 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Transfer patties to platter; cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 4 patties.
5. Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together sauce ingredients. Spread 2 tablespoons sauce in each pita pocket half. Fill each with tomato slices, cucumber slices and falafel patty.