Preparation time: 2 hr
9 uncooked lasagna noodles
1 lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 jar (25.5 oz) Italian herb-tomato pasta sauce
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1 container (15 oz) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (8 oz)
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Fresh basil leaves, if desired
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cook noodles as directed on package, omitting salt and oil and using minimum cook time. Drain; place noodles in cold water.
2. Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, cook beef and garlic over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in pasta sauce, red pepper and 1 teaspoon of the dried basil. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
3. In medium bowl, beat egg slightly. Stir in ricotta cheese and remaining 1/2 teaspoon basil until blended.
4. Drain noodles; pat dry. Spread about 1/2 cup meat sauce in baking dish. Top with 3 noodles, 1 1/2 cups of the meat sauce, half of the ricotta mixture and 3/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella cheese; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
5. Spray 15-inch piece of foil with cooking spray; place sprayed side down over baking dish. Bake 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.