Sweet potato-topped shepherd's pie
Preparation time: 1 hr and 55 min
1 1/2 lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 cup chopped carrots
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 can (14 oz) reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
3 cups cubed peeled Yukon Gold potatoes
3 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
4 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
4 1/2 teaspoons water
1/2 cup frozen (thawed) chopped spinach, squeezed to drain
1/3 cup low-fat (1%) milk
2 tablespoons light stick butter
1. Heat oven to 375 F. Spray shallow 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
2. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef, onion, carrots and garlic over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, 3/4 teaspoon of the salt and the thyme. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in large saucepan, place potatoes and sweet potatoes; add enough water to cover. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until tender; drain. In small bowl, mix flour and water. Stir into beef mixture. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in spinach.
4. In large bowl, beat potatoes, milk, butter and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt until smooth. Spoon beef mixture into casserole. Top with potato mixture.
5. Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until potatoes begin to brown.